What is a work visa?
Work visa in numbers.
Who is eligible for a work visa.
Professionals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for a work visa in Hong Kong:
- Have a clear criminal record
- Have a good education background, usually a first-level university degree in the relevant field of work
- There is a genuine job vacancy
- Have a confirmed employment offer
- Are offered a remuneration package comparable with the prevailing market level for professionals in Hong Kong
In general, the Immigration Department will look at the following conditions when approving work visa applications:
- The applicant can prove that he has outstanding experience and qualifications for the position and that the vacancy cannot be filled readily by Hong Kong people
- Supporting documents and explanation from the sponsoring company why they cannot fill the post locally
- The company can demonstrate its commitment to do business in Hong Kong
What you will need to apply.
A proper employment visa application should contain the following documents provided by the employee:
- Completed Application for Entry for Employment as Professionals in Hong Kong
- A passport copy
- A copy of the Hong Kong identity card (if any)
- A copy of a document proving the overseas residence
- A copy of the academic qualifications and CV
- References or employment letters from all past employments
Moreover, you will also need to accompany your application with the following corporate documents (provided by the employer):
- Completed Application for Employing Professionals in Hong Kong
- Documents with details of company background such as business activities, mode of operation, background/connection of company, product ranges, sources and markets, membership of chamber of commerce (if any) and more
- For newly setup companies: detailed business plan (e.g. information on the source of funds, estimated capital injection, nature/mode of business activities, expected turnover, sales volume, gross and net profit in the coming years, and proposed creation of local jobs and more)
- A copy of proof of financial standing (e.g. latest audited financial report, trading profit and loss account, or profit tax return and if its a newly established company, usually a bank account statement under the company with at least six months operational expenses in deposits.)
- A copy of the employer’s Business Registration Certificate
- A copy of the employment contract
Application process and timeline
How to apply for a Hong Kong work visa.
We submit your application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department (signed application forms together with all supporting documents from the sponsoring company and the applicant).
It usually takes six weeks to receive an initial response from the Immigration Department upon submission of the application. Depending on the quality and complexity of your application, the immigration department may approve it within 6-8 weeks (2-3 months). If the application is successful, the Immigration Department will issue a Visa/Entry Permit label.