Skip to main content

Dependant visa
in Hong Kong.

If you want your immediate family members to relocate to Hong Kong with you, they will need to apply for a dependant visa. Our immigration team can help you get the visa for your family quickly and easily.

Dependant visa

What is dependant visa?

The dependant visa is a relocation visa for the immediate family members of foreign nationals (sponsors) who hold an employment or investment visa or who are permanent residents in Hong Kong.

Eligibility criteria

Who is eligible for dependant visa.

The eligible family members vary in accordance with the resident status of the sponsor.

Resident status

For a sponsor who is a Hong Kong permanent resident or a resident who is not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. a resident with the right to land or on unconditional stay), the following dependants may apply to join him/her for residence in Hong Kong:
  • Spouse
  • Children under the age of 18
  • Parent aged 60 or older

Employment or investment status

For a sponsor who has been admitted in Hong Kong to take up employment (as a professional, for investment to establish/join in business, or for training), the following dependants may apply to join him/her for residence in Hong Kong:
  • Spouse
  • Children under the age of 18

An application for admission of a dependant may be favourably considered if:

  • There is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the applicant and the sponsor
  • There is no known record to the detriment of the applicant
  • The sponsor is able to support and provide the dependant with suitable accommodation in Hong Kong

Taking care of the whole application process from start to finish.

Pre-application advice

Advice on acquiring an dependant visa in Hong Kong and requirements for a successful application.

Application tracking

Filing and tracking the status of applications.

Document issuance

Arranging for issuance of dependant visa upon in-principle approval.


Handling renewal of dependant visas before they expire.
Application documents & timeline

What you will need to apply.

  • Application for Entry for Employment as Professionals in Hong Kong (ID 990A), with Part B duly completed by the dependant
  • The dependant’s recent photograph (affixed on page two of application form ID 990A)
  • Photocopy of evidence of the applicant’s relationship with the dependant e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, family photographs, family letters (with envelopes), census record book and Privilege Card for Single Child (if applicable)
  • Photocopy of the dependant’s Macao identity card (for Macao SAR residents only)
  • Photocopy of the dependant’s household registration in Taiwan and Taiwan identity card (for Taiwan residents only)
  • Photocopy of the dependant’s passport

The length of stay of the dependants will normally be linked to that of their sponsors and any subsequent applications for extension will be considered only when the applicant continues to meet the eligibility criteria for dependants’ visa and the sponsor remains a resident or employee/investor living in Hong Kong. These dependants are not prohibited from taking up employment or studies.

It normally takes six weeks to process a visa/entry permit application for residence as dependant upon receipt of all the required documents.

Ready to get started?

Our dedicated immigration team can process your visa application quickly and reliably.

Non-binding & confidential
Not sure where to begin?

Schedule a free 30-minute discovery call
to discuss starting & managing your company
in Hong Kong.

Winnie Li, Director